Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Bakers Creek Experience

It's been a week and I'm just now getting caught up on things. Strange how just 2 days away can do that. I think better planning and preparation would have helped and I did a poor job of both this time. But that's a small thing as things go, never being quite caught up is part of life on a homestead and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Thank You So Much ((((((( Paul ))))))))

Despite the rain, muck, cold and more, it was a great experience that I hope to repeat. There were so many people there and they said it was way down this year from the usual number. Trudging through the mud and muck, everyone soaked or at least pretty damp and still, a smile everywhere I looked.

Sunday was the best of the two, pouring rain off and on but still a good crowd and I didn't do to bad in sales. As is usually the way, there were more questions than sales but that's ok, it's part of the way and I enjoy it. Lots of people asked about selling my other balms and salves so I may start making more of each and see how they sell. My antibiotic salve sold very well!

Something I found wonderfully amazing was how many young people were interested in herbs, herbals and natural living. There were several very knowledgeable already and so many interested and truly eager to learn more. It made my heart puff up a bit :)

The first morning I felt pretty sick but felt much better as the day went. The second morning I was exhausted but felt fine then got a bit sick as the day went on *-* Luckily we had outhouses nearby and we all survived. We were also Very Blessed to have been inside one of the large tents. The people in the smaller tents did fine I think but I the larger tents seemed warmer somehow.

Some of the other vendors I was lucky to meet and set up with ...

Paul and his Azomite. I had never heard of azomite but after the weekend I intend to get some. It's pulverized volcanic rock and contains traces of almost every natural element, and it's organic. He's in Ava and if you're interested you can email him ... homesteadpaul@hotmail.com Here's the azomite website to read more about it http://www.azomite.com/

The Jelly Man, his booth was like a small sideshow. He was so sweet and sooo funny and very outgoing. He sells is own special pepper jellies made with habanero. One is habanero and apricot and is some of the best jelly I've ever had! People lined up for his jellies. I think this is his website http://www.rollanet.org/~kala/

Then there was the young man I did some trading with. He traded me one of his wonderful dream catchers for herbs and salve. I believe his name is Chris and he made leather goods and things. A fine craftsman and very knowledgeable about Gaia's bounty. It always makes me very happy to see young people interested in the Earth and her gifts. He doesn;t have a website that I'm aware of but he is part of the Bushcraft on Fire family. They create how-to youtubes on self sufficient skills http://youtube.com/bushcraftonfire

I also had the pleasure to be set up across from Janet Hurst, a cheesemaker. A few years ago, when i first began making cheese myself, I came across her name while searching for information and was very please to get to watch her work a little at the festival. Her site is http://www.cheesewriter.com

We were also set up near Cindy's booth where she demonstrated an apple box oven and other things. Excellent information that everyone should know. Her website is http://afamilyprepared.com/
There were so many other wonderful artisans and crafters. Row after row of people displaying their gifts and talents. It truly was a fantastic experience! And, as we were leaving on the last day, I was approached by a woman who works in the Bakers Creek Apothecary (I didn't realize they had one) and she invited me back to their monthly market. And I may just do it :)

By the time we got home from the second day I was exhausted to the core and hurt all over from the damp and standing for 8 hours and I would do it again without question.


Now I am off to get more work done   :)
.

2 comments:

Hidden Haven Homestead said...

I wanna come back in my next life as part of your family. Life is so interestingly content no matter how crazy some days are around you. <3

the wild magnolia said...

Happy to hear you experienced this special treat. You work so hard and deserve good things.

Blessings.