Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

I am .....


Online at home   : )   so much has happened and I have so many un-posted journals posts. But things go as they will and it’s easier to drift with the currents, taking pauses here and there to tie a ribbon on a twig and take note of the ribbons left by my brothers and sisters as they travel on their own journeys.

My beribboned twig ~~~~~

It’s 7:00pm, Thursday June 20, 2013. Tomorrow is the Summer Solstice and Thank the Mother & Father we have a bit of garden in and the weather has been most excellent so far this year. And things in general have been very good.

I have bread rising which should be ready for the oven just past 8:00 when it’s a bit cooler. In warm weather I try to do any such thing in the evenings or cook out on the grill. We had venison burgers and pit beans the other day from the grill and they were wonderful.

We’re building a bathhouse out of an extra metal gazebo I didn't realize we had. It’s working perfectly and filling in for the solar shower that’s still not been rebuilt. I’ll take pictures of it soon.

I’ve been commissioned to do a set of whimsical paintings for a new bakery opening up in town. It’s been so long since I’ve had any such work that I had forgotten what to do! The deal is confirmed but the details haven’t been all worked out yet. It’s a small thing but so sweet just the same.

My salves and balms are now selling at Jean’s Healthway in Ava. It’s a good community thing, folks working together like companion planting in a vast and wonderful garden.

We lost our Thistle, Mother bless her. I can’t remember if that got posted or not. We went without dairy for a time. I had some milk frozen but I only use it for cooking, we don’t care for it for drinking, and not enough for cheese or butter. I finally broke down and bought milk from the T&C and soy milk for myself but we sooo miss our wild moon milk. Which we may have again very soon  : ) 

I guess that’s all for now, it’s 7:30 and I have things to do. A bit of time online before the bread is ready for the oven, then a late supper and some sewing.

I hope everyone is fine and wonderful!!  Merry Blessed Solstice  : )

2 comments:

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I hope you had a Happy Solstice. Today is Midsummer's Eve here - so Happy Midsummer! I was glad to see a post from you and to read that all seems to be going well, although I'm sorry to hear about Thistle, Janine :)

Akannie said...

Glad things are going well, Jules...it finally stopped raining up here long enough to get the gardens in. Ben some crazy weather. Supposed to rain again tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about Thistle...