Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Monday, September 2, 2013

Merry September

The year has moved along so quickly and now just 3 weeks from the Equinox. Even so, I'm very much looking forward to it.

I've been moving like a snail the last few months and gotten very little done. We're still getting tomatoes and peppers from the first one and the second planting is starting to produce.

I bought a lovely container of portabellas to dry but have also had a several helpings of fresh. I love them grilled!

And speaking of grilling, I've been doing a great deal of our cooking outside.

Some of our most recent meals were grilled grass-fed pork steaks, wild and brown rice with grilled portabellas, raw cranberry relish with honey and ginger, homemade bread with fresh homegrown garlic butter and Lavender sage iced tea.

Then yesterday I made big fat burritos with ¾ venison ¼ beef ground, fresh corn added to the meat when the meat was browned and the seasonings were added, cooked slow with hickory wood on the grill, my homemade Mexican seasoning, homemade refried black and red beans, cheese, wild lettuce, salsa from the farmers market, my homemade tortillas. Warmed leftover rice and raspberry iced tea.

The last week was spent on putting up corn, drying mushrooms and herbs, working in the garden, painting, starting some more clothespin bags, still working on pulling up carpeting, looking for a new fridge and conventional oven (both went out over the last few months), cleaning out and reorganizing the kitchen cabinets.

I've also been feeling very lethargic. My legs have been aching more often, more constant and more intensely. I've not slept well in some time but was finally able to sleep the night before last so I have a little more energy today.

Nik’s schedule is also a bit problematic, he works from late afternoon to 11:00pm then it hard to go right to bed. I hope to have the blazer in proper working order soon and he can drive himself.

We have goats again, it started out as babysitting but we ended up with them. A sweet Saanen doe and her two ½ LaMancha kids. We've named the doeling May Apple (Apple for short) and the buckling is Hickory.


No comments: