Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

3.16.14 snow and mead

More snow   *-*   How can something so beautiful be such a pain?   Actually,  if I have a 4 wheel drive it would be a lot less of a pain. It is what it is and it could be so much worse. 

Things are otherwise going merrily along  :)   garden plans on the table, mead in the pantry, chicks in the brooder.

I won't be setting up at the markets this year. It was a hard to decision and I may still set up in late summer but likely not before then. I will miss it but I don't have much to sell right now and will take the time to work on the homestead and my online store. Which I'm working on today.

I guess i got ripped off on my sheep. I had paid for 2 Soay sheep last November and was to pick them up in January. No replies to phone messages, or emails.  The price was excellent and the man seemed sincere and honest. I given up on them. Things are as they are. 

I doubt I'll ever find a deal like that for Soay again. I had particularly wanted Soay because of their hardiness and wool shedding. But I'll look for something else when I can and be happy with any wool sheep I can get. 

Everyone here is doing well. We're having a little extra milk to sell again. The 9 chicks that hatched are growing well and are 4 rir, 4 ameraucana and 1 barred rock, hopefully all pullets! The 3 pekin ducklings are getting very big!

It’s 6:00pm and we’re at 2 ¾ in of snow. It seems to be stopping though it is still snowing a little.

Tonight’s supper is simple mashed potatoes with goat’s milk. Pepper gravy with onion, fresh cracked peppercorns, a rich brown roux of flour and butter with a touch of olive oil, and goat’s milk. Ginger honied carrots. And crust oat bread buns made in a little electric oven.

Evening tea is apples in caramel sauce and rich black vanilla tea to drink. I wish the mead as ready  :)

Speaking of mead … I am going to try making 8 gallons this year, 4 for me and 4 for trade. I was invited to a trade gathering in Arkansas and was asked if I had any mead or wine to trade by a few people.

When I rack the batch I have going, I’m going to flavor at least one bottle with vanilla and cinnamon, another with vanilla and bergamot and another with elderberry and sage. I really like simple sweet mead with nothing else added but I love the flavors too. I’ve not made mead in a very long time so we’ll see how this turns out.

I’m also working to finish a bee skep (for luring and transporting bees) and hives this year in hopes of having bees by the end of the year. I need honey for a great many things, medicinal, cooking and baking, mead etc.. I use a great deal of it. The hives won’t produce enough honey to share for a year so I need to get started as soon as possible.

It’s 8:00pm supper has been eaten and evening chores done. I’ll finish up here and go read some Brother Cadfeal with my evening tea by the warm fire. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear you got ripped off on your Soay.

I'm hoping to get down to my Missouri land this fall to begin cabin construction, come back home for the holidays, and then move down there full-time in spring of 2015.

Don't understand why you are having issues with the forum. =(

*huggs* Tobit