Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Merry Spring!


The days are stunning. Green things are poking up and sprouting everywhere.

I had the first fresh wild salad of the year and the first one in months. It was simple and delicious! Dock, sorrel and cress, with a light vinaigrette dressing. I made the dressing with olive oil, my homemade apple vinegar, a little honey, homemade orange extract and cracked peppercorns. It was hard to stop eating!

The ducklings have gotten huge. They’re Pekin and much bigger than the Runners we’re used to. We got them out into the goat pen, where we’re building the new chicken pen. But will have to bring them into the barn at night for awhile because its ti be in the mid to upper 20’s at night all week. But at least they can get out al day for sun, duck baths and leg stretching. They’re wonderful things, I’m so glad I decided to have a couple.

The chicks are growing well and I’m hoping to get more hatching eggs later this week. It was supposed to be last week but that fell through so I’ll try again. If things go as planned  *o*  we’ll get Buff and Black Orpingtons and more Ameraucana. I’m looking forward to the Black Orps, we’ve never had them before.

After we get the main chicken pen finished, we’ll start on brooding pens. My plan is to raise a few of each kind again to trade/sell for more homestead income. We’ll see.

I’m very disappointed about the sheep. I was so looking forward to them and the loss of the bargain hurt pretty badly. Things are as they are but I can’t help mourn the situation. a bit.

Our internet is currently down so I’m going to free wifi when I can to post and check email. It’s a pain but certainly better than no internet!

I’ve also invented a new kind of bookmark out of bent wire and a hand tied tassel. I have some floral wire that I use for the armatures for some of the dolls I make. I was looking at it while weaving a hammock one day and saw these bookmarks. I’ve been making them veraciously ever since  :)  

The main focus of the farm right now is The Garden  : )   : )   I’m behind getting things started but never behind on plans and goals!  I’m actually planning a smaller garden this year to have a better chance of actually getting it all done.

2014 Plant list - Only Organic & Heirloom

Main Garden--

Corn – Bloody Butcher
Pumpkin – Musquee De Provence
Summer Squash – Straightneck
Beans – Black Valentine
- Peso Pasado 2
- Pole Lima
Zucchini – Black Beauty
Carrots – Parisienne
- Danvers
Tomatoes – Gypsy
- Speckled Roman
- Red Cherry
- Roma
Cucumbers – Unknown saved seed
Peppers – Purple Beauty bell
- California Wonder red bells
- California Wonder green bell
- Emerald Giant green bells
- Golden Bell yellow bell
- Pimiento Peppers
- Unknown purple sweet pepper ss
- Hunter Pepper
- Corno Di Toro Rosso
- Unknown very hot pepper ss
- Jalepeno
Lettuce - Wild Moon Lettuce mix ss
- Purple Wing
- Crimson
- Red Romain
- Paris White Romain
Mustard – Black
Arugala – Rocket
- Unknown saved seed
Spinach – Viroflay
- Bloomsdale
Melons – Moon & Stars watermelon
- Collective Farm Woman
Potatoes - ?
Sweet Potatoes – Unknown pale color
Misc – Bunching Onion
- Chives
- Garlic Chives

Edible & Medicinal Flowers--

Flax
Arikara Sunflowers
Chia
Nasturtium

Elsewhere—

Popcorn – Strawberry
Gourd – Bushel Basket


 Herb list to come  :)

No comments: