Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Thursday, April 16, 2015

4.15.15

Today is another fine Irish day. Gray, rainy and chilly. Perfect days for my Purple Dragon Tea and getting some sewing done  :)

Yesterday I made 3 moon pads. I use flannel from old sheets and shirts etc.. They're incredibly easy to make and easy to adjust the size or thickness to meet many needs. I've been making them since before my son was born. I made them solely by hand for many years but now make them on machine or by hand depending on my mood or what else I'm doing.

                                                            moon pads

I also started another patchwork skirt yesterday. Just picking out which fabrics or remnant to put together And I picked out two fabrics for two new skirts for myself. A lovely gray floral for a long skirt and a cool brown print that looks like lotus flowers for a short skirt.

                                                 Fabrics for next patchwork skirt

Long skirt fabric                                                               short skirt fabric


Today I traded a small tank of propane for 7 three month old Ancona ducklings. They are so pretty. Most are black and white but at least one each are chocolate and white and gray and white. They remind me a lot of the Runner ducks I love so much. If I recall correctly, Ancona were originally bred from Pekin and Runner.

I also got a great idea for breeding pens from the place we got the ducklings. Probably old news for most folks but... Use cattle panels bent just high enough to bend over and get in. cut panels for the end and door. run chicken wire around the base for snakes and to keep the smalls in. Use a tarp or plastic or cut branches to create shade and shelter and give them a good separate shelter inside.

I also did some sewing today. I mainly worked on covers for outdoor chair and glider cushions. I've actually been working on these for over a month. Ever since I found a box of wonderful heavy ticking at a thrift for 2.00.

                                                               Ticking

I've recovered these cushions before but nothing has held up well. I had planned to try using denim this year, which I think would work well but when I came across this great ticking I knew where it was meant to go  :)  Some of it has some sort of backing on it and it looked as though maybe someone had the same idea and had started making a cushion cover. I'm hoping to have enough to make one large for the glider and three for the chair seats. I have one hair cushion but will make two new ones and cover them first with something heavy and breathable.

I'm also getting ready to repaint and recover two indoor chairs and the woodstove bench. I found some lovely floral broadcloth at another thrift last year and have been saving it for this project.

And, mixed in with some of the thrift store fabrics was some thin cotton percale, Perfect for drying bags for my herbs and such. I make them all sizes from tiny to dry a few blueberry leaves (because the bushes are tiny) to huge to dry large amounts of black walnut leaves for my salves etc.. They're very easy to make, an be washed and reused way beyond a paper bag and I add draw strings for tying and hanging.

Recently a friend gave me a big heavy metal carport frame. I've not picked it up yet but need to soon so I can cover it with a tarp and have a place to weave hammocks out of the rain and sun. That's it's main use. But  :)  I plan to eventually cover the top with dyed or painted canvas. Waterproofed or will waterproof it with beeswax. 'll add long heavyduty pull ropes for getting it off and on as needed. For the walls I'll sew many different fabrics together and have several ties on each to close well when needed. For summer I'll make walls of sheer curtains, scarves, fabrics.... For winter walls, blankets and skins... Old rugs and skins and blankets on the floor...  I believe it's 20 x 10 so would also work for a little shelter for or Kith & Kin trade gathers.

Lastly, I worked a little more on another pair of moccasins I'm making. Another red pair. I love making them but then I love making all sorts of things. From Spirit Art to moon pads  :) 

                                                         Very red leather  :)


I made Anya, my mare, leg wraps put of the same red leather. For when she needs extra protection or has a wound that needs covered etc.. I actually made them some time ago but they needed a little work and better wrap ties.

My regular work went astray this week because if the rain but I still got other things done, made plans and dreamt of days to come.

No comments: