Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Friday, October 7, 2016

10.7.16

What a prosperous day! It was full of sun, new beginnings and fresh starts!
While in town a friend of ours who has two Fennic Foxes drove by and had one with her. He was wonderful and amazing! He loved his person so much and she loved them dearly. I don't advocate keeping exotic animals as pets but there are those few people who treat them better than a great many human children are treated.
And speaking of Foxes.... Our beloved little Fox got a wonderful home! As I we were waiting for his new people to arrive, I had second thoughts. I care about every creature we take in and each one carries a piece of my heart with them. I try not to but it's not in me to feel otherwise. Fox though, he was little different.
I actually found myself hoping the people wouldn't show up. Our rougher life just didn't suite him physically but he thrived here mentally and emotionally. He loved the wildness and the bravado of having Nemo (110 lb LGD) to back him up. But his little body suffered for it daily. Flea allergy, rolling in every dead thing he could find, not enough hair for the colder winters...
All of that was swept away when the woman pulled up and got out. She smiled and I saw angel wings. I knew instantly that she was the best person for Fox. Fox felt comfortable with her, nervous but not afraid.
I cried as I pulled away, leaving him in her care. Part at the loss of a friend and part relief that he would have what he really needed and be loved and happy.
When I got home I had the kittens to tend to. Little balls of furry love. Eating wonderfully and even starting to show interest in dry food. They're all using the litter box perfectly. They are little fuzzy dolls and I spend time with each of them individually.
I'm not a good or kind person. I don't want to love them or take care of them. I don't want to worry about them, stay up late for them, clean up after them. And, on the thankfully rare occasions it comes to it, I hate to bury them.
But, at the same time, when I see them happy and healthy, it feeds my soul. Their smiling eyes are payback ten fold.
Live long and prosper, Fox. We love you.

No comments: