Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Friday, June 13, 2008

6.13.08

I've been so busy this morning I forgot to post then when I remembered we had storms and couldn't get online.

I spent much of the morning cleaning out a pantry cabinet to be replaced with another pantry cabinet. This one has doors to hide the goods, which I prefer, altho it's a bit smaller then the other. I still need to find more room to store canned goods but I'll figure it out.

I remembered to weed before feeding today. The featherpigs and chicks love the weeds and grasses and I always end up going back into the chicken pen to give them what I weed from the garden. I'll be so glad when they can all get out and freerange! The ducks are plenty big enough but I'm not sure the chicks are. they're getting close tho.

It looks like we may have only one male duck and the other 5 females. Only one has the man feathers but two others do have V tails so I don't know. A friend recommended that we raise Runner ducks but selling another living being ... how can you sell something you cannot own ? Trading or bartering would be the same.

I have the windshield of the truck to take care of and then all the legal stuff and insurance. But soon enough I'll be able to take my things to markets and my artwork to local galleries and shows and fairs again. It's been almost 2 years since I was able to do that. I'm not sure if there will still be a market for artwork with the economy as it is but I also have the teas I can sell at the Farmers markets around.

I'm going to be making medicinal balms and salves but I don't have the little jars I need for them yet. Hopefully some yard sales will produce a bounty of babyfood jars or the like.

I'm planning on making soap and candles to add as well but don't have any supplies for either yet and have never actually made soaps. All in good time tho.

Well, I'll get back to painting now. Merry day all!

No comments: