Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

6.15.08

Happy Father's Day !!



Today we're supposed to have more thunderstorms off and on. I'm so glad we live up high but I do worry a bit about erosion because the Burrow is built into a hill.

Yesterday was wonderful, on the way home we went to 3 yard sales but found nothing. Still we had fun and a nice, leisurely drive there and back.

This morning I'm reading about some very tiny places fixed up beautifully. Tiny Vardo like trailers or wagons with all the amenities squeezed in. Our house is pretty small and altho I would welcome more space I do believe we should use as little as possible and leave more room for the wild folk.

I've been working on redoing the Burrow since the beginning of Spring. I've used a sheet to make a new cover for the futon and, out of a pair of king size pillowcases, I recovered 4 chair seats and made two pillows. I've also begun painting furniture here and there and rearranging a bit at a time. The house is so small there's aren't many options but finding just the right spot for everything is very important to having good flow of chi and feeling comfortable and at peace.

Another thing I'll be looking for at yard sales this summer are more sheets to use. The simple percale sheets are very, very useful. They make great napkins, tablecloths, curtains, pillows, skirts, aprons .... the list goes on and on. They also make wonderful shades to hang on the porch to keep the hot summer sun out a bit. Just hang them in a way that's easy to take down and wash from time to time.

Later this morning I have some sweet breads to bake for Nik's dad. I'm making him a loaf of banana nut bread and some blueberry muffins.

Sundays are laundry days for doing the extra laundry I take in but otherwise I don't have much planned. Maybe a little sewing, some painting, some reading.

No comments: