Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Monday, June 16, 2008

6.16.08

Merry Monday :)


Breakfast cookies and iced vanilla coffee for first breakfast. I woke up very hungry after a night of much tossing about and very little sleep.

I'll try to remember to post the breakfast cookie recipe later. I kind of made it up from a failed attempt at regular oatmeal cookies one day. Breakfast cookies (or breakfast pods) are cakelike cookies made with oats and/or peanutbutter and any other good thing to add. They're very like muffins, only not :)

I spent several hours yesterday reading thru the Backwoods Home forum. I used to read there often but hadn't been there in over a year. Tons of great information!

Got a bit of baking done yesterday as well including sweets for the week in the form of regular peanutbutter chocolate chip cookies.

This morning I traded some teas for a wonderful handmade Tam for Winter. I've always had a hard time finding hats to fit, I have a lot of wild hair. She has many others very well priced in her Etsy shop, go check them out PurpleSageDesignz.etsy.com

I'm also trying to get a new sun hat this year. I talked to someone who was going to make one for me but haven't been able to get ahold of her since so I'm not sure.

It's very cool out this morning and supposed to be a bit cooler all week. I'm hoping to get some garden work done today but it may rain. I need to lay some more weed cloth in the medicinal garden and weed a bit in both. I also need to get something in for the peas to climb, they're getting pretty big. And I have some thyme I grew from seed that will need to be moved to the medicinal garden soon.

The Patchouli is doing very well but the White Sage is still really struggling. It may just be to wet for it this year. White Sage is a desert plant but I had one that grew fine here for many years. I may try potting this one up and keeping dryer till it gets stronger. It's so much wetter this year tho and may continue to be as the changes continue.

I'm also going to take some time today to draw up plans for a greenhouse. I've drawn up many greenhouse plans over the years but none for this place and for the spot I've decided to try and build it on. I had wanted to try and build one into the hill, just like our house, but the only area to do that isn't the right place for it so I'll just try to build a small, free standing one in the space where the medicinals are now. It's the best place for sun and less likely for limbs to fall on it and break the windows. I'm planning on building it with discarded windows and doors. They're already somewhat insulated and in frames so I just have to put them together like a puzzle, once I get the main frame done of course :)

No comments: