Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

6.26.08 Meeting Apollo

It's 10:00am and I've only been up a few hours. Yesterday was very busy and we ended up getting to bed late so we slept in till 8am.


One of the things that kept us up late was waiting for Apollo. A German Shepherd boy, 10 to 12 weeks old. He's a doll, very smart and very sweet. He will be Nik's dog, Star's companion and one of the family. He climbs anything under 4 feet so we have to make a new gate on the dog pen but the pen itself is 6 feet high. We'll start working on the gate a little later today but I was able to add a board to the gate to keep him in and safe if we need it until the new gate is finished. Neither dog stays in the pen for long. They are companions and stay where we are as often as possible.

It's a cloudy and humid day but I don't think it's going to rain. I would rather it be hot then humid, one of the very few things that I don't like about this area is the humidity, it bothers me a lot. But the good much outweighs the humidity and I'm thankful every day to be here.

Oded is doing wonderfully ! Each day he improves so much :) I take him outside several times a day and today he was somehow able to climb up into a giant planter on the porch. He's a wild little thing :)

I have such big plans, I always have, so big that they only get done a tiny bit at a time. Among my great plans is an outdoor cat run. I built a small but wonderful one in Florida which included a small tree and a window to come and go from the house. Part of what's kept me from this one is where to put it but since it's going to be for ferals and strays it doesn't have to be connected to the house. I want to try to get that done very soon tho so we can at least keep un-spayed females in it till they find homes or get spayed.

Also among my great plans are, the greenhouse, extend the dog pen, fence in the entire property (which isn't that big), make as large a goat pen as possible on the piece down the slope, build a goat house, make the henhouse larger, enclose a courtyard, build a cat run and cathouse, enclose the front porch and screen it in and extend the gardens to most of the yard that's left. That's it ! Not that much, if I had a work crew and plenty of money :)

This years priorities are the henhouse, greenhouse, cathouse and dog pen. If I can get that much done I'll be very happy.

2 comments:

Peggy said...

Apollo is beautiful! He couldn't have found a more loving home. Your plans are almost as long as mine. Don't think I will ever get all mine done.

Unknown said...

We keep making our lists every year and crossing off a handful then carrying what's left over to the next year. As long as you have an unfinished to do list, you will always have a reason to get up the next day...

Beautiful dog your Apollo is.