Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Friday, July 18, 2008

7.18.08 a prosperous day

This morning I posted the weekly freecycles and Craig's list listings and right away got a reply from a wonderful woman just down the road with a ton of canning jars. It was like winning the lottery :) all sizes, jelly, pints, quarts ... wide mouth, mason, bell, atlas. Probably around 100 jars. What a blessing !

On the way home we stopped at one yard sale and picked up 2 wonderful old wooden boxes to paint for .50 and .75, a few DVD's for 1.00 each, 6 stepping stones for 2.00 and a very nice vacuum cleaner for 5.00

We also got most of the porch painted tho we did run into some trouble and found where the roof may be leaking a bit. Also the paint is much more yellow then expected, even after drying several hours. I believe I'll see if they can add something to gray it a bit and make it the dustier sage I was wanting. or I may get a clear brown glaze or something to tone it down. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow tho and it doesn't need another coat which will also slightly alter the tone. It's beautiful as is, just to bright for me.

The chicks are doing wonderfully outside and we're soooooo glad to have them out of the house. I'm very sensitive to smells and chick poo mixed with damp newspaper smelled like Night of the living Dead. Anyway, we're all happier now :) the chicks have a shiny new bucket to live in and room to run and fly into one another.

I also started work on enlarging the henhouse the other days and will be putting little windows in as well. I hope to have at least one that opens in summer for ventilation and 2 or 3 for light and sun in winter. The wood has gotten so old tho that it may not handle all the work to add on and we may have to end up building a whole new house (our of recycled lumber) the henhouse now is made from Nik's old Treehouse which I made (with a lot of help) when he was around 4.

and now I'm off to finish Nicholas Nickleby with a glass of wine, and ponder all the other things we'll paint or build in the coming days :)

No comments: