Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Friday, September 5, 2008

9.5.08 Sept. 5th

I can't remember what it is, and I'm not even sure if I know what it is but, I think there's something special about Sept. 5th. Not a birthday or anything like that, I just can't remember.

Anyway, it's a most excellent morning ! 58 deg outside :) :) :) I love it !

Yesterday I did finish the second half of Cranford. Very sweet and sad and hopeful. Judi Dench is so very beautiful.

I also watched Atonement while I figured up the weeks menu. It was unusual, not bad at all but not good either.

When I make up the weeks menu I don't do it by the day. I take inventory of what we have and what needs to be used first etc. and makes 7 days worth of meals from it or about 21 meals. Then each day, we decide which meal we want from the menu, choosing as we go. I make the meal and mark it off the menu. I don't do that every week but fairly often.

Today we'll have ... eggs n ham for breakfast. burgers on fresh bread with baked fries and corn for dinner. Oatmeal for supper.

The baked corn dogs yesterday turned out wonderfully ! I'll add the recipe later.

Today is supposed to be cool and gray but no rain. If it doesn't rain I'll probably try to get some work in the gardens and the posts set up for the cat run. I would much prefer to work on the henhouse but the wood is to wet. The gardens need some attention terribly tho so that is the best thing for the day.

The last few times we've been to the recycling center there were no newspapers at all. Only magazines. I get newspapers for weedcloth and mulch, tho we have tons of oak leaves in fall for excellent mulch as well. This year we have the leaf vac so I can send Nik all around to gather the leaves and there will be much less raking and more time for other things, like gathering walnuts :)

I've been thinking about selling the Crow Truck. It's a wonderful truck and we love it very much and it runs well and drives wonderfully and we're able to haul many things with it but .... I can't afford the gas for it and it needs the windshield replaced before I can get it properly legal. I have insurance on it and I keep getting temporary tags but... If I sell it I could probably get enough money to get the Trooper properly fixed.

Anyway, I hope everyone's day is a most excellent one :)

No comments: