Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Saturday, January 3, 2009

1.03.08 Happy Late New Year :)

It was 52 deg at 8am in the first of January. We've always had odd weather here. The old saying around here is "If you don't like the weather right now just wait a little while and it will change". But it didn't used to be quite so drastic. These days the Winters have many more and much warmer days which also lead to more severe ice storms. I had never heard thunder or seen lightening in the Winter before a few years ago. Now it happens every winter.

For now, it's to be 68 deg. today, 34 tomorrow.

I've been working on a new website for the teas, HealingHouseTeas.com It's coming along well but is slow going with dial up. It takes all day to set up one page *~* But at least i have pages to set up and a place to set them :)

We have a lot to do today because of the weather. The main thing is to get some firewood cut down. We have plenty but it has to be cut pretty small to fit our tiny stove.

On New Years even we lost another hen, a Buff Orpington. Completely my fault. I left a gate cracked and she got into the outer part of the dog pen. Star can open the second gate and so she did, and killed the poor hen. Thankfully she died quickly. After feeling terrible about her death I then felt bad about the loss of food. The eggs and meat wasted.

We got the chicken tractor rigged to stay up a little longer so that Archimedes can have a bigger pen till summer. He doesn't have as good a house as I would like (a dog carrier wrapped in plastic and stuffed with straw) but it will do for now and he has more scratching room.

If I could, I might consider building 4 hatching pens and get a Rooster of each kind. I don't like selling living things, it seems very wrong to me, but we've had several people ask if we sell RIR and Barred chicks and Aracuanas are apparently hard to find.

Yesterdays menu was ham n eggs for breakfast, pretzels for lunch, a baked sweet potato for supper *~*

Todays menu hasn't even been considered until right now *o*

Well, back to work on the website. I'm actually almost done. Then it's setting all the metatags, getting it listed as many places as possible, promoting .....

merry day everyone :)

2 comments:

Phill said...

So sorry for the loss - Buff Orpingtons was really pretty birds. Your website is looking wonderful! I had been studying Rhode Island Reds myself - interesting that you get inquiries about them specifically.

Hippiekisses said...

Happy New Year !!!