Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

5.11.10

It's very humid here today. One of my very few gripes in the world is humidity. I'm not sure why but I just can't breath when it's very humid and there's no movement at all. maybe it's a claustrophobic thing. Even the tiniest breeze can make it much more bearable. It used to get very humid in Florida but the difference was the almost constant sea breeze. I don't regret here tho and I would not want to leave the beloved hills for anything.
Nik was offered a job today so he may start working in town one or two days a wqeek at a plant nursery. He's nervous and excited, it will be his first paying job away from home.
It's been kitten season again but thankfully, after years of spaying, neutering and finding homes for the ferals (also a terrible illness that killed many of them one year) there aren't nearly as many to have kittens as there was when we moved here. This year two females, LuLu and Thing 2, had babies. Kirin is one of Thing 2's and she has 3 others out under the hay tarp. LuLu has 3 as well, in Apollo's doghouse. So 6 or 7 kittens to find homes for this year, not bad at all considering that the first spring we were here there were 24 kitten to find homes for.
Speaking of Kirin, he's gotten so big. I weaned him early at just 5 weeks. I know that's bad but we all needed it. he's doing wonderfully tho and even uses a litter box :)
Today has mostly been inside stuff altho I did burn trash (what can't be recycled) and picked another handful of strawberries to be made into syrup for pancakes.
Otherwise I messed around working to straighten up my work table. Reorganized some things. Filled tea orders. Bagged some herbs for Market. searched for a new internet provider. Looked for a new hay source because our usual hay guy is out *~*
I made some Pan Candy (also called farmhouse caramel). i love the stuff but I don't make it often because I have a hard time rationing it :) It's very easy to make and soooo good to eat and use. I'll post the recipe later but it's really just equal parts butter and brown sugar melted together and then cooled.
And I have a chicken in the oven roasting on a bed of vegatables. We usually eat our larger meal around 4:00 but I got sidetracked and didn't start it in time so we'll eat this evening after milking.
I also have been making sweet breads, cakes and muffins to use up all the liquid yogurt I made *~* The neighbors and renter don't seem to mind at all and neither does Nik, munching on spice muffins for breakfast :)
Someone suggested I make cheese with some of it so I may try that later or tomorrow. I also need to whip up a batch of mayonnaise.
For now I'm going to go start a peach crumble made with last years canned peaches that someone traded me for teas :)

No comments: